Click here to print

 Print Japanese
Contact Calley
Studio:  (808) 885-0609
Mobile:  (808) 987-7003
How to Obtain Your Hawaii Marriage License

Hawaii is a beautiful place and a marriage here is an ideal way for a couple to start life together. You may be a visitor to the Islands, drawn to our year-round warm and sunny weather, or you may be a resident wishing to celebrate a most cherished moment in a place that you call home. Whoever you are, we welcome you and hope that we can make your wedding day as free from worry as possible. Aloha and best wishes!

For any person to lawfully marry in the State of Hawaii, a license for that purpose must be obtained from an authorized agent (Section 572-1.7, Hawaii Revised Statutes). Once the license has been issued, there is no waiting period before the marriage can take place.

Who is eligible to apply for a marriage license?
A marriage license and marriage certificate are different documents.
  •  The marriage license permits a marriage to take place. 
  • The marriage certificate indicates that a legal marriage has been performed.

The marriage certificate is prepared and filed by your licensed marriage officiant or performer with the Department of Health. A newly married couple receives one (1) certified copy of the marriage certificate at no extra charge, upon payment of the marriage license fee, which will be sent to the couple by mail (60-120 days) after the marriage has been performed. If a marriage certificate is needed sooner than this, you can apply for one or more additional certified copies.


Managing Director, Hawaii County – Hilo (By appointment only)
  • Wil Okabe  (808) 961-8504

Governor’s Liaison Office – Hilo (By appointment only)
  • Joyce Nakagawa  (808) 974-6262

Governor’s Liaison Office – Captain Cook (By appointment only)
  • Susan Kim  (808) 323-4542
  • Abigail Au  (808) 323-4542

Hawaii District Health Office
  • Mary Farias  (808) 974-6008 – Hilo
  • Tiffany Joaquin  (808) 887-8114 – Waimea

Four Seasons Resort Hawaii at Hualalai (By appointment only)
  • Kimberly Kaluau  (808) 325-8007
  • ​​Monica Balanay (808) 325-8072

Mauna Kea Beach Resort
  • LaRoma Tomosada - (808) 882-5465
  • Lanette Yamamoto - (808) 882-5709

Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa (By appointment only)
  • Kristi-Anne Udac  (808) 930-4919

Kailua-Kona (South Kona and Kohala
  • Andrea Bojorquez - (808) 990-1929

  • Rose Delfin (808) 640-6179

Calley O'Neill, Sunset Love Wedding in progress
Sunset Love 
Weddings & 
Vow Renewals
with Calley O'Neill
Deposit $100 to Save the Date!
To obtain the marriage license, the prospective bride and groom must appear together in person before a license agent along with the necessary documents.

This Locator ID (also found on your payment receipt as Authorization Code) is important. This number will be needed to access your temporary Certificate of Marriage. 

Please note that the temporary certificate is only available to those whose performer enters the ceremony information online. If your performer is online, your temporary certificate will be available after two business days.

Check with your license agent for an online performer. Please provide the temporary certificate and the Locator ID (Authorization Code) to each agency that needs to determine that this marriage occurred in the State of Hawaii.

  • Proof of age is required.
  •  A certified copy of a birth certificate must be presented for anyone 18 years of age or under. 
  • A valid I.D. or driver's license may be presented for anyone 19 years of age or over.
  • If previously married, proof of original divorce decree or death certificate needs to be presented to the marriage agent by the applicant if the divorce or death was final within 30 days of applying for a marriage license.

The marriage license expires 30 days from and including the date of issuance, after which it automatically becomes null and void.